Towards a Rhetoric of True Crime Narratives
Welcome to the true crime site that’s dedicated to rhetorically analyzing some of our favorite true crime shows, documentaries, podcasts, etc.! This site is being created by the Fall 2021 University of Texas at Arlington students that are enrolled in English 3374. You can learn more about the students, in their own words, by visiting the Meet the Class page. The website and blog will be updated throughout the semester, so make sure you subscribe to our blog and continue to visit our website!
November Update: The class has been hard at work this semester, watching documentaries and dramatizations, listening to podcasts, and building out this website! Blog posts rhetorically analyzing the true crime media that we have consumed have been added and will continue to be added over the next month. The 2-3 student groups have also chosen their own true crime cases to analyze and spend time building out specific pages on the website that cover the many different types of media that have covered those cases. Check out these new pages and be sure to follow along with them as they continue exploring the consumption of true crime!
The True Crime Lineup
- The Trial of the Chicago 7
- Making a Murderer: Season One
- The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel
- Malice at the Palace
- In the Dark: Season Two
- The People v. O.J. Simpson
- O.J.: Made in America
- Confronting: O.J. Simpson
- American Vandal
- A Very Fatal Murder
- This Sounds Serious
- And More!
Featured Blog Posts
- A Very Fatal Murder: An Abundance of ‘Very’By Hayden Gnat and Isabelle Odeh The true crime genre proudly represents true tales of crime that give a glimpse into real stories, however The Onion’s “A Very Fatal Murder” […]
- PODCAST: LIGHTS OUTColorado native hosts Josh and Joel take us to Episode 9 of their podcast. The in depth coverage of the massacre that particularly have family who attended that high school […]
- watch and read with usBelow are just some of the thousands of Tiktoks made about Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie, ranging from web sleuthing to updates to videos reacting to her parent’s heartbreaking tears. […]
- American Vandal: More than red cherry’s“Period after emojis? That’s, like, serial killer weird.” Sam Ecklund- season 2 Throughout the course of the series, one thing that is pretty apparently different from your usual true crime […]
- Gabby Petito: Missing While WhiteThe case we will be diving into is the that of Gabby Petito and the nation-wide search for her leading up to finding her body and the subsequent manhunt for […]
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.